That is an on the spot pickle that may be made in just some minutes and added to your meal as a aspect dish. The crunchy texture of the cucumber and warmth from the ginger makes it laborious to cease consuming when you begin. Attempt it with any foremost meal dish.
Prep time: 5 minutes, plus 30 minutes pickling time
- 1 massive cucumber, about 500g
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp mirin
- ½ tsp mild brown sugar
- 15g recent ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- Partially peel the cucumber, then minimize it in half lengthways. Scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon and discard.
- Bash the cucumber with a rolling pin to interrupt it into bite-sized items (the uneven cuts assist the sauce take in rapidly).
- Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, mirin and sugar, then combine with the cucumber. Add the ginger and depart to face for 30 minutes earlier than serving.
Recipes from Japanese Meals Made Straightforward by Aya Nishimura (Murdoch Books, £14.99), additionally obtainable as an eBook